While the Department of Finance, Services and Innovation (DFSI) doesn't have a formal internships program, some departments do from time to time make internships available.
For example, the NSW Department of Education & Communities runs intern programs whereby teacher education students entering their final year of study can be paid to work part-time in a school while completing their studies to be a secondary or special education teacher with a Great Teaching, Inspired Learning Internship (GTIL).
As an intern, they work as an educational paraprofessional during their final year of study under the guidance and supervision of experienced teachers, in a part-time capacity. They have the opportunity to gain valuable knowledge and experience through assisting, supporting and working closely with teachers to improve student learning outcomes.
Up to 25 GTIL Internships are made available and the interns receive:
- a part-time job in final year of study
- experience in a school before graduating
- a permanent teaching position.
Eligible applicants are Australian citizens or permanent residents who are:
- currently enrolled in an initial teacher education program at a recognised Australian university
- completing their final year of teacher education
- willing to accept an appointment as a paraprofessional, on a part-time basis, to a NSW public school during their final year of teacher education
- willing to accept an appointment as a permanent full time teacher to a NSW public school in an agreed location for a minimum period of three years.